Sunday, May 8, 2011

Poem: Get Out of Bed! by Diane Z. Shore

Here is an interesting poem that describes a mother waking his son up for school and his excuses for not attending school.  Read on to find out more, to see the twist in the story...


Get Out of Bed!
by Diane Z. Shore

"Get out of bed, you silly fool!
Get up right now, it's time for school.
If you don't dress without a fuss,
I'll throw you naked on the bus!"

"Oh, Mom, don't make me go today.
I'm feeling worse than yesterday.
You don't know what I'm going through.
I've got a strange, rare case of flu."

"My body aches, my throat is sore.
I'm sure I'm knocking on death's door.
You can't send me to school-achoo!-
'Cause everyone could get it, too."

"Besides, the kids despise me there.
They always tease and always stare.
And all the teachers know my name.
When something's wrong, it's me they blame."

"You faked a headache yesterday.
Don't pull that stuff on me today.
Stop acting like a silly fool-
The principal cannot skip school!"

***************************************************************
Analysis of poem:
  • The poem above is in the form of a conversation between mother and son.
  • Written in a principal's point of view, while at the same time making it sound as if from the point of view of a student, the poet successfully gives us another look into the life of a principal, unlike the way other poets portray principals as strict, authoritative and fierce people.
  • The sentences makes use of rhymes at the end of sentences, and also creates a rhythm in which the poem is read.
  • From the poem, we can also see that the personalities of the principal, lazy and irresponsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment